Thursday, June 29, 2006



Hi all!

(Pardon me that the font appears very BIG, I just hope to get the message across) :)

I was helping my student to do some research on a topic of recycling that her teacher has gave her as her internet was down.

Well, all of us know that we should try to reduce using plastic bags and reuse them, but how many of us really know the facts behind why we should do so.

Just some facts I'd like to share,
Do u know Each year, an estimated 500 billion to 1 trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide. That comes out to over one million per minute. Scary isn't it???

In 1999, the U.S. alone used 10 billion paper grocery bags, requiring 14 million trees to be cut down. 14 million trees in 1 year... EWWW!

Well, THE SCARY FACT IS THIS, like me you might think RECYCLING can fix all these right??
WE ARE WRONG!
Recycling rates for plastic bags
are extremely low. Only 1 to 3% of plastic bags end up getting recycled.

And guess where do all the rest goes to Third world countries like India and China which are rapidly becoming the dumping grounds for the Western world's glut of recyclables.

What can we do??
Well, I am going to start using reusable shopping bag from today onwards! What abt U??